Before Starting a New Anime...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before Starting a New Anime...

I believe everyone has criteria to consider when they start to watch a new series.

Personally, I look into the art style and animation first. If I like how everything is drawn (or, at the very least, nothing bothers me too much visually), I usually give it a shot. But if the style isn't really my thing, chances are I won't bother to even finish the first episode.

For you, is it the plot? The comment section, ratings and overall feedback? Or the visual aspect of it, like for me?

Originally posted by rynnerae View Post
    I believe everyone has criteria to consider when they start to watch a new series.

Personally, I look into the art style and animation first. If I like how everything is drawn (or, at the very least, nothing bothers me too much visually), I usually give it a shot. But if the style isn't really my thing, chances are I won't bother to even finish the first episode.

For you, is it the plot? The comment section, ratings and overall feedback? Or the visual aspect of it, like for me?
    The art is important. For me the plot is probably paramount. If I love a certain anime, I'll look up what other anime are similar to it and go from there. Although sometimes I'll just jump in blindly to something, give it a few eps to grab my attention, and if it hasn't done so by then I'll move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley C View Post

The art is important. For me the plot is probably paramount. If I love a certain anime, I'll look up what other anime are similar to it and go from there. Although sometimes I'll just jump in blindly to something, give it a few eps to grab my attention, and if it hasn't done so by then I'll move on.
      The plot actually weighs heavily for me, too. If it's interesting enough and gives me determination to ignore the things I don't really like animation-wise, then chances are I'll watch the whole thing to the end like I did with Denpa-teki. However, if the animation is great but the story isn't interesting to me, I probably won't end up finishing it. Welp- I guess both weigh more or less the same for me.

Comment

The plot actually weighs heavily for me, too. If it's interesting enough and gives me determination to ignore the things I don't really like animation-wise, then chances are I'll watch the whole thing to the end like I did with Denpa-teki. However, if the animation is great but the story isn't interesting to me, I probably won't end up finishing it. Welp- I guess both weigh more or less the same for me.
        100% agree.

Comment

Feedback has some factor, too, but I don't rely on that. "To each his own opinion" and such. They're super subjective after all-

Comment

Feedback has some factor, too, but I don't rely on that. "To each his own opinion" and such. They're super subjective after all-
            Yeah I never bother with feedback really. Too many times I've loved stuff that got poor reviews and disliked stuff that got good reviews. I'm more likely to listen to feedback from a friend I know I have similar tastes to. If I like something I just look up 'Any similar to x' or 'If you liked x, you'll like y'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley C View Post

Yeah I never bother with feedback really. Too many times I've loved stuff that got poor reviews and disliked stuff that got good reviews. I'm more likely to listen to feedback from a friend I know I have similar tastes to. If I like something I just look up 'Any similar to x' or 'If you liked x, you'll like y'.
              Exactly. I read comments online about certain anime just for the fun of it, but I don't really take them too seriously. If a certain series interests me because of art style and/or plot, then I'll probably watch it regardless of whether most think it's any good or not. Recommendations based on what you watched are lifesavers, too!

Comment

I do different check-ups on completed series and ongoing series.

Completed Series:
                1. Check the promotional poster - this is one way I can guess if an anime is too moe or too ecchi for me (yes, I don't want to be at the moe or ecchi genre)
                2. Look into the studio that produced the series - I do this on series which are adapted from manga/novels/games (I have my own favorite studio adapters)
                3. Check the genre - I personally love seinen, mystery, sports and comedy. Other genres are just minors to me.
                4. Watch promotional video/s - As much as how easy it is to read the summary/plot, I have no trust on who wrote them so I watch the PV's most of the time. Of course, I check plot if I need a quick view of how it will go.
                5. Watch first five episodes - I give myself a five-episode rule. If I don't like an anime after five episodes, I drop it (I dropped Accel World in episode 17, btw which was I think a waste).
                6. Read reviews - if I came to like an anime after five episodes, I read reviews and discussions about it online. Because I already have experienced loving a series then ended up disappointed at the end. I also read reviews/reactions of shows that I didn't like through its first five episodes too since I know that there are shows that only drags at the beginning but hides a beautiful gem inside (i.e. Steins;Gate).

Premier Series:
                I do steps 1-3
                4. Read summary/plot - because I don't have time to watch PV's of all 100+ titles
                5. Narrow down my "interesting list"
                6. Watch promotional videos - this is where I invest my time. As soon as I don't find it amusing (deceived by the summary/plot because they are not official), I drop it from my list.
                7. Watch first five episodes - my personal rule. Others have a three-episode rule though.
                8. Discuss with friends - makes you realize a lot of things.

Recently, I'm becoming keen with names involved too. Like who will do the soundtrack, who directs, who does the script and main animation, etc.
                Join Nano (ナノ) Fanclub [nano-TOMO]!
                Blogs Owned: All About Vocaloid
                I do drawing commissions! PM me for more information. http://linzz.ucoz.com/forums/linzzsig20150204.png

Comment

Linzz: That's quite a list you have there! Personally I'm not very particular with anything but animation-- And I don't prep that much before watching a series. I just dive right in-- But I suppose we all have our way of doing things. That's really interesting though! I might get a few tips from you- Mainly the episode rule, though I think I've already applied it somehow.

Comment

The art style matter s for me a lot. I found certain kinds of art not to be of my taste and also the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by chibicano View Post
                      The art style matter s for me a lot. I found certain kinds of art not to be of my taste and also the plot.
                      We're quite similar then. Art style is a huge factor. But it can be outweighed some by the plot. It's gotta be super interesting to make me wanna keep going even if I don't like the art style though.

Comment

Very true! I remember not liking fruit baskets because the style was not my type but ended up loving the plot so I finished it. rynnerae

Comment

Linzz: That's quite a list you have there! Personally I'm not very particular with anything but animation-- And I don't prep that much before watching a series. I just dive right in-- But I suppose we all have our way of doing things. That's really interesting though! I might get a few tips from you- Mainly the episode rule, though I think I've already applied it somehow.
                          Before I also didn't mind a lot of things. Most of the shows I've watched were recommendations from friends whom I was close with and thought that we might have more topics to discuss if we share more common interests. But then as time went by, my tastes varied away from my friend's and that made me look for shows on my own.

Then later, later, I became an anime reviewer (per episode and it was for free anyway). It made me keener on other details which resulted to my list. lol
                          I do drawing commissions! PM me for more information. http://linzz.ucoz.com/forums/linzzsig20150204.png

Comment

Originally posted by Linzz View Post

Before I also didn't mind a lot of things. Most of the shows I've watched were recommendations from friends whom I was close with and thought that we might have more topics to discuss if we share more common interests. But then as time went by, my tastes varied away from my friend's and that made me look for shows on my own.

Then later, later, I became an anime reviewer (per episode and it was for free anyway). It made me keener on other details which resulted to my list. lol
                            I see~ It's always great when you find your own taste though! I used to do most of the recommending to my friends back in high school, but when I joined anime-based organizations (fanclubs) in college, I got some really good recs, too. And oh, that's neat! No wonder you're so into the details. Definitely not a bad thing though!

Comment

I see~ It's always great when you find your own taste though! I used to do most of the recommending to my friends back in high school, but when I joined anime-based organizations (fanclubs) in college, I got some really good recs, too. And oh, that's neat! No wonder you're so into the details. Definitely not a bad thing though!
                              True, I guess. Knowing it was made by your favorite director or your favorite script writer or your favorite music director, it makes the whole show much more interesting than how you are supposed to see it as someone who didn't know a thing except for the plot. Makes you brace yourself on the story too knowing how your favorite script writer tends to kills just anybody within the story. haha

Comment

Working...
                              X