Sponsored

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a new author give their first book for free.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should a new author give their first book for free.

If someone decides to become an author and releases their first book (whether print or e-book) should they offer it for free or should they chance it and sell it for a really low price?

If they sell it for free, should it perma-free (permanently free) or just make it free for a few months?

No way, even if the book is not all that good, you shouldn't give it for free, except you want to...probably at a very low price but not free

Comment

Originally posted by Esythe View Post
      No way, even if the book is not all that good, you shouldn't give it for free, except you want to...probably at a very low price but not free
      Some argue that because people don't know the quality of the work - since its the first book - making it free allows people to read and review which will help for the second book. But everyone needs to make a living so low price may be better.

Comment

I don't think they should unless they want to. It's a job for authors so they need earnings. And besides, they spent a lot for publications. Not to mention spending time when writing. People don't have to buy the first book anyway if they are doubtful of the quality.

Comment

Funky.Troy I see your point. The time and money they invested shouldn't be disregarded just because of their talent isn't well known.

Comment

I say, it depends on he topic and purpose. Even famous and well established authors would sometimes allow free downloads on their snippets or teaser e-books usually for campaign or marketing purposes usually for review purposes. Most publishing packages offers this type to aid and help authors especially beginners and even famous and established ones for greater audience reach. Once you hit the BESTSELLERS list, then of course it will be readers who will clamor and wait for your next and forthcoming releases. To many, it was treated as a kind of INVESTMENT.

Comment

Originally posted by KayDoubleU View Post

Some argue that because people don't know the quality of the work - since its the first book - making it free allows people to read and review which will help for the second book. But everyone needs to make a living so low price may be better.
              It doesn't really matter, Nora Roberts first published novel is on sale although it's actually awesome, she didn't doubt herself. There are lots of authors who don't write well at first but still sell there books.
              DO NOT GIVE YOUR BOOK FOR FREE. if it's really that bad, the puvlblishing company won't even help you publish it talk more of giving it for free...lol

Comment

I would not really feel getting myself a book without paying. Making and publishing a book takes a lot of time and effort and talent from not just one person but a group and to get it for free - it feels fantastic but no support for the writer.

But of course, if a new author would want to sell a book she first published, it doesn't hurt to have some "catchy" marketing strategies. But making your book sell for free permanently is not really a good move. You can do giveaways, discounts, or just some small contests that would cover a book as a price. But giving them away without you getting anything just doesn't feel right at all.

We had the same debate with regards to new vocaloid producers who doesn't have enough luck of getting up to the weekly rankings because - well, the well-known producers usually has taken the top ranks while new ones - no matter how good their music and tuning and everything else have turned out - are still in the lower ranks of 50s. In this area, though, money is not really involved so it was harder mind-moving process for everyone to make the rankings "fair" enough for both new and well-known producers.
                Join Nano (ナノ) Fanclub [nano-TOMO]!
                Blogs Owned: All About Vocaloid
                I do drawing commissions! PM me for more information. http://linzz.ucoz.com/forums/linzzsig20150204.png

Comment

Working...
                X