Which book would you not recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which book would you not recommend?

We always talk about book recommendation (when I say "we", I mean people in general). But what about doing the opposite? I would like people to warn me about certain books, and I would like to return the favour. So, rock your socks off

Wow, interesting subject... I can warn you about Stephen King's "Bag of bones". It is good book, horror genre, but it has some really fucked up, and gross parts, and you will feel bad after reading that

Comment

Hmm...that is a great topic! The last book I read that I wish I hadn't was probably Unlovely (can't think of the author name right now). Some people might like it, and it was well-written I suppose, but for me, it left me feeling so terribly depressed! And that's really saying something because I usually love sad books!

Comment

Ressa, I know what you mean, sometimes there is just something about a book, you can't quite pin point what, but you feel it's lacking. What was that Unlovely book about?
        Dimitrije, haven't read that one by Stephen King. Normally I like his books. What was it about it that rubbed you the wrong way?

Comment

Unlovely was about a woman who suffers a mental breakdown, and it tells her story through flashbacks going back to childhood all the way up to what led her to end up in a mental hospital. I typically like stories about mental health, but this one was unsettling to me. Carol Walsh Greer was the author, I just looked it up.

Comment

Originally posted by mircalla View Post
            We always talk about book recommendation (when I say "we", I mean people in general). But what about doing the opposite? I would like people to warn me about certain books, and I would like to return the favour. So, rock your socks off
            I wouldn't recommend the Hunger Games books. They could have been so good without the schmaltzy romantic junk. If people want to see what the Hunger games should have been (and totally ripped off) they should check out the awesome film Battle Royale.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrije View Post
              Wow, interesting subject... I can warn you about Stephen King's "Bag of bones". It is good book, horror genre, but it has some really fucked up, and gross parts, and you will feel bad after reading that
              Agree. I love King but yeah, he can write some very disturbing content. I'd say the same about It, The Stand and Cujo as well. Great books though, just avoid if you have a weak stomach.

Comment

Actually this just reminded me - I had to stop reading Red Dragon. I was enjoying the story but it was just too gory and intense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley C View Post

I wouldn't recommend the Hunger Games books. They could have been so good without the schmaltzy romantic junk. If people want to see what the Hunger games should have been (and totally ripped off) they should check out the awesome film Battle Royale.
                  I liked Hunger Games, but agree that I could have done without the romance subplot. I loved the ending of the Hunger Games though, I thought it was pretty powerful.

Actually this just reminded me - I had to stop reading Red Dragon. I was enjoying the story but it was just too gory and intense.
                  Is that a prequel or sequel to Silence of the Lambs? I think I remember my mom reading it and thinking the same thing, that it was a great story but too gory.

Comment

Originally posted by Ressa View Post

I liked Hunger Games, but agree that I could have done without the romance subplot. I loved the ending of the Hunger Games though, I thought it was pretty powerful.

Is that a prequel or sequel to Silence of the Lambs? I think I remember my mom reading it and thinking the same thing, that it was a great story but too gory.
                    Yeah Red Dragon is a prequel to the awesome Silence of the Lambs. Very confronting. The film version is better. Actually both film versions - it was also filmed under the title Manhunt before the Silence of the Lambs film. (Different actor portraying Hannibal Lecter).

Comment

Originally posted by Ressa View Post
                      Unlovely was about a woman who suffers a mental breakdown, and it tells her story through flashbacks going back to childhood all the way up to what led her to end up in a mental hospital. I typically like stories about mental health, but this one was unsettling to me. Carol Walsh Greer was the author, I just looked it up.
                      Yeah, sometimes you can't pin point it what bothers you. You say to yourself, I usually like books like this, what's with this one? I have a Master's degree in literature, and they have always forced scientific approach to literature upon us in college. I mean, it works in many cases, but sometimes, no matter how much you know, you just have to say "don't know, it's something that bothers me, but I can't describe what".

Comment

Agree. I love King but yeah, he can write some very disturbing content. I'd say the same about It, The Stand and Cujo as well. Great books though, just avoid if you have a weak stomach.
                        I get scared easily at times and I am forced to watch Stephen King movies all the time by my boyfriend. He loves it, but damn, Mr. KING is kinda messed up. My boyfriend and his mom will go on and on about how messed up he is and his books.

Comment

He is messed up. He even seems messed up when you see him in interviews and photos. But I guess that serves him well in what he does.

Comment

I personally don't enjoy YA books in general, they seem bland to me and repetitive. I know this is not a specific book that I am not recommending but it will sure save you a lot of time haha

Comment

Working...
                            X