Sponsored

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book or a movie about the same story - which one do you find it to be better?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Book or a movie about the same story - which one do you find it to be better?

    Ressa inspired me for this topic. Do you usually find the book or the movie to be better? Can you find any opposite examples? (for example, if usually the book is better for you, can you think of an example when it was the opposite)

  • #2
    I believe that books are 90% of the times better. The last movie I saw and it was better than the book (as my opinion of course) it was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The opposite happened with the Hobbit movies. Book was a lot better than the movies.

    Comment


  • #3
    I agree that books are better most of the time. The last time I saw an opposite example was the movie Austenland. The book was decent, but the actors played the characters so well, it was way better to watch the movie.

    Comment


    • #4
      Originally posted by mircalla View Post
      Ressa inspired me for this topic. Do you usually find the book or the movie to be better? Can you find any opposite examples? (for example, if usually the book is better for you, can you think of an example when it was the opposite)
      Two examples that spring to mind of the film being better are Fight Club and American Psycho. Not that the books weren't enjoyable, but I just found the films to be amazing.

      Comment


      • #5
        I totally agree with the last one! American Psycho was a much better movie, although I also often find books to be more enjoyable. But this book was... I don't know, a bit shallow and ineffective, and move did that in a better way.

        Comment


        • #6
          Yeah American Psycho can be a jarring experience to read. It's not what we think of when we think of a traditional novel. The story jumps all over the place. The narrator goes on and on about products and things in obsessive, minute detail. Definitely not for everyone.

          Comment


          • #7
            For movies such as the Harry Potter franchise, the books were 100x better but I've seen cases (such as Gone Girl) where the movie really lived up to the feel and overall storyline of the book without feeling deprived of details/important plot points.

            Comment


            • #8
              In many cases the books is much more exciting. Hunger games turned out to be kind of boring for me in the cinema.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by KayDoubleU View Post
                For movies such as the Harry Potter franchise, the books were 100x better but I've seen cases (such as Gone Girl) where the movie really lived up to the feel and overall storyline of the book without feeling deprived of details/important plot points.
                Agree re: HP. Haven't read Gone Girl.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Ashley C
                  Junior Member
                  Ashley C I tend to read some books right before the movie comes out so I can compare like what I did with most movies based on John Green's books.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Books are better, almost always, but there are two exceptions in my case, The Notebook and The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo, here movies are brilliant.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by draga View Post
                      Books are better, almost always, but there are two exceptions in my case, The Notebook and The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo, here movies are brilliant.
                      Agreed! The Girl with the Dragon tattoo, but the Swedish version of the film, although I usually like Fincher who directed the American version. I find Stieg Larsson to be exciting, he achieves the suspension in his novels, but I think movie is better.

                      Comment


                    • #13
                      I don't know which version of Shutter Island I like better. They're both awesome.

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Originally posted by Ashley C View Post
                        I don't know which version of Shutter Island I like better. They're both awesome.
                        They sure are. I remember not quite getting everything while I was watching the movie, but it all fell into place like 5 minutes after the movie

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          Yeah, you're generally in safe hands with Scorsese and DiCaprio.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X